Data Management and Policy Fellow
MOST Policy Initiative is excited to announce our inaugural Executive Branch Fellowship position! We are seeking a Data Management and Policy Fellow to serve the Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. The fellow will be an employee of the University of Missouri and will be an active member of the MOST Policy Initiative team.
Term Length: Fellows will commit to a one-year fellowship term and will be encouraged to renew their fellowship for an additional one-year term.
Compensation: Fellows will receive a stipend of $50,000/year and benefit options will be provided through the University of Missouri. In addition to salary and benefits, fellows will also receive a $1,500 for professional development and moving expenses up to $2,000. All in-state travel associated with the fellowship program will be covered by MOST Policy Initiative.
Residency: Fellows from within Missouri and outside Missouri are encouraged to apply for the MOST Policy Fellows program. During the fellowship term, fellows will be asked to reside in Central Missouri (Jefferson City, Columbia, etc.).
- Terminal degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in science, technology, engineering, math, medicine, or related discipline (e.g., STEMM education). We strongly encourage researchers with backgrounds in applied statistics, bioinformatics, and data science to apply. Candidates who do not have a terminal degree (e.g., M.S. in Economics) will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Deep understanding of data collection, analysis and utilization, with experience developing business cases for transformational projects.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including an ease with public presentations and the ability to translate and synthesize complex, technical information into clear and concise recommendations.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and the ability to use data to answer questions
- Demonstrated experience writing queries as part of data processing code
- Demonstrated experience in developing analytics solutions that are repeatable
- Strong record of success engaging a wide variety of cross-sector stakeholders, particularly leaders in the public sector. Ability to relate to a wide variety of diverse audiences with varying goals and motives using strong emotional intelligence and empathy to establish trust-based relationships.
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, intrapreneurial leader who is an independent worker, resourceful in coming up with novel solutions to complex problems, persistent in obtaining information, and able to create direction and movement within ambiguous environments.
- Flexibility, adaptability, persistence, humility, inclusivity and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Develop and maintain scalable, automated dashboards and reports that benchmark and track progress against key operational performance goals and initiatives
- Help our teams define structure around our wealth of data. Create new operational metrics, develop a deep understanding of how existing metrics are calculated, and ensure metrics source data is reliable and matches the needs of the business
- Develop models on large datasets to extract trends, measure results and outcomes, identify areas of opportunity, and predict future performance
- Coordinates the implementation of new, long-term state-wide data initiatives including policy development, long-term planning, and coordination for large-scale initiatives
- Provides statistical and analytical support to the department by conducting research, compiling and analyzing data, preparation of necessary reports for projects and presentations
- Extract actionable insights by identifying patterns in structured and unstructured data and develop recommendations to drive business performance
- Build analysis, data visualizations, and multi-functional reporting that provides critical support to the operations and decision-making of the organization
- Facilitate the analytical needs of the business, collaborate in the design of diagnostic solutions, and deliver outstanding data products and insights
- Act as a liaison between business units and data engineering to drive key operational metrics for enabling business success and value-addition within the data and analytics domain
- Support business units, data teams and product/program management with process improvements for optimized delivery of diverse data requests
- Comply with roles and responsibilities, standards of conduct, and administrative policies and procedures of the MOST Policy Fellows program through the University of Missouri